Quiz & Poll
Ever wish you could get your students to stop texting and use their phones productively in the classroom? Or want to gauge what your students have learned? This Android app and related systems enables educators to engage and challenge their students inside the classroom (using polls) and outside the classroom (using quizzes).
How it works
With Quiz & Poll, teachers & educators can create quizzes and polls easily using Google Spreadsheets. Quizzes and Polls are distributed to students via the Android app or an embeddable webplayer. Statistics data is written back to the spreadsheet so the instructor can track student responses and understanding.Key Features:
- Quizzes and polls are easily created and administered on Google Spreadsheets.
- Students can download the Android App to take the quiz or live classroom poll.
- For students without Android phones, quizzes and polls can be accessed via a web interface (works on laptops, iPhones, iPads etc.).
- Administrators can view quiz and poll statistics on the same Spreadsheet.
How to create a quiz
- Create a copy of Template quiz game
- Rename the spreadsheet to your quiz name, but leave the [Q] identifier in the beginning
- Share the spreadsheet with firstname.lastname@example.org for editing
- Update the worksheets Questions and Information by following instructions in the template
- Mark all the correct answers by putting * after the response in the cell
- Share your quiz with your students in one of the following ways:
- In the spreadsheet, from the Quiz Games menu, select Share with students
- In Android app, go to Quiz Games -> MENU -> My Own Quizzes -> Share
- Add it into public quiz games (accessible by anyone) by contacting me
How to create a pollPrior to the class
- Copy this spreadsheet template
- Rename the spreadsheet but don't delete the [P] identifier
- Share with email@example.com
- Create your own question list (on the Questions tab)
- Add a * after all correct answers
- You're all set for the classroom now!
- Project from the first tab of your spreadsheet
- Start the polling from the Polling menu of the spreadsheet by selecting Start
- Share the poll with students:
- If students have an Android device, they can scan the QR code on the projection screen.
- Or email the link to students so they can access from a laptop or a phone by entering their email addresses.
- Pick the question you want to start with from the drop-down and then click Start to begin the poll.
- You can close the question and stop allowing response at anytime by hitting stop. This will project a graph of responses.
- At the end students can compare with the rest of the class in Results graph.
About the project
This website and app is maintained by David Vávra, former intern at Google for the Learning Technology Team. Google open-sourced it under Apache 2.0 license. This means you can create own version for your school/organization.